Diaspora Rising’s Deputy Director is a leadership position designed to develop, implement, and maintain strategic programs in order to increase the organization’s capacity to effectively deliver on our mandate. Reporting to the CEO , the Deputy Director will be responsible for the operational success of Diaspora Rising, ensuring seamless team management and development, program delivery, and quality control and evaluation. The Deputy Director develops internal systems that support the organization’s external goals, and has an externally facing role managing relationships in the community. This is a high level position designed to take Diaspora Rising’s policy and advocacy campaign organizing and strategic messaging to the next level.
Diaspora Rising is a new media and advocacy hub dedicated to strengthening the bonds amongst members of the global Black family. More than a hub, DR aims to serve as a support to 21st century Pan Africanist movements, using the latest digital technology to facilitate connectivity and exchange
- Supervise 3 – 4 direct reports and potentially engage a team of 15 +/- staff in advocacy and culture work; Demonstrate consistent track record of setting and achieving team goals;
- Guide staff to develop systems to ensure consistent, high-quality project management; ● Demonstrate leadership in team collaboration, communication and cohesiveness, sustaining culture and supporting staff during organizational growth;
- Oversee program operations and day-to-day duties of Advocacy team members; provide guidance, growth strategies, operational assistance;
- Assist in the hiring of new team members; conduct yearly performance evaluations of managers;
- Work collaboratively with the other senior staff to integrate cross-program activities and functions.
Internal Operations and Infrastructure
- Develop and implement strategies that will maximize the synergies among program areas.
- Support the team to make consistent and progressive steps toward organizational and programmatic sustainability; effectively communicate work plans and priorities derived from the organization’s strategic plan and associated budgets;
- Enhance organizational excellence by establishing operational benchmarks, timelines, and resources needed to achieve strategic goals, proactively recommending and driving improvements as necessary; set standards for measurements of success;
- Oversee Diaspora Rising’s evaluation activities including data collection systems, longitudinal evaluation, and all contracts and activities relating to program evaluation and measurement; communicate and prepare all data collection summary reports and evaluation updates for the CEO, Board of Directors, and staff; and,
- Develop a knowledge management system that ensures maximum sharing of information and learning throughout the organization; create an environment whereby Diaspora Rising is known as a best-in-class learning organization.
Program Development , Partnerships and Relationship Management
- Develop thought leadership around specific topics/emerging practice areas.
- Share in knowledge dissemination, reporting, and communications.
- Partner with the CEO in essential internal leadership activities (human resources, administration, and organizational planning).
- Manage increasing segments of information technology, human resources (recruiting, reviews, staff deployment/workload balancing, career progression) with related internal communications and budgeting/finance duties.
- Identify best practices and improve internal systems with an eye toward future needs and budget realities.
- Establish consistent, objective program performance standards of accountability
- Raises funds for the organization through relationship building, proposal and grant writing, etc.
- Mentors and coaches team; visible, approachable sounding board/resource for CEO
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual with team management experience. The successful candidate will lead programs in partnership with the CEO.
- 10+ distinguished years in a senior management position in a nonprofit organization, foundation, or government agencies
- Highly intelligent, advanced/MBA degree
- Track record delivering superior results, commanding respect, and assuming leadership roles
- Demonstrated success developing and evaluating program models, and selecting and successfully operationalizing innovative programs
- Success in roles requiring execution of multiple tasks while responding to multiple priorities
- Strength in hiring, recruiting, managing, developing, coaching, and retaining individuals and teams, empowering them to elevate their levels of responsibility, span-of-control and performance
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to details
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for XYZ Nonprofit’s mission
- Proven ability to work with efficiency, flexibility, and good humor
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide array of people – junior and senior, for-profit and nonprofit, and from diverse backgrounds
- Operates with excellence in mind in all matters, with the confidence to defend/debate ideas without ego interfering
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills are essential
- Passionate about Diaspora Rising’s mission and impact
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy in organizational settings
- Transparent, direct, with substance
- Self-starter, self disciplined; creative, dynamic
- Remains focused in the face of pressure, delivers against timelines, not intimidated by tasks/time limitations